Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Sickened.

Remember baby Joshie I posted about last week? He passed away from a CHD at about 7 weeks old. His mom's blog is http://www.fierceandfiesty.blogspot.com/.

Well, a day or two before he passed away, his parents chose to have him circumcised. He was stable at the time, and doctors assured them it was safe.

Since his passing, his parents have been under attack by anti-circumcision activists (also called "intactivists"). Activists who have gone so far as to call the coronor regarding Joshua's death (against the parents wishes) and have contacted newspapers, making baby Joshua into the face of their fight, etc.

Jim and I had decided when I was pregnant that if it were a boy, he would be circumcised. I can't say I have strong feelings about it one way or the other, but it was our choice. But this post isn't about whether circumcision is right or wrong.....

It's about how unfair , pushy, and downright rude these activists are being. Everyone knows that I'm not shy about my opinions, and when I really believe in a cause, I fight for it with everything I have. But to put a family who just lost their son (and NOT because of the circumcision, but because he had a heart defect, by the way) is JUST TOO MUCH. It is taking it too far. It makes me sick to think of people bullying this baby's parents, who did the best they could and gave their baby the best care they could.

What right do these people have to push their beliefs on this family? And what do they think gives them the right to question how this couple took care of their critically ill child and try to blame his death on their actions? Really, what right do we have to do any of that?

Believing in a cause is commendable, standing up and fighting for that cause is only right. But at what point does it become too much, go too far? I'm not sure where that line is, but it has been way overstepped, in my opinion.

I'll leave it at this: show Joshua's parents some support. His life, and their suffering now, is not about their choice to circumcise. His too-short life was about doing God's work, even if no one understands it right now. His battle was about his heart, not his foreskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment