Monday, July 12, 2010

Something strange...

...has been going on with me lately. I'm not sure what it is. I've stumbled across a whole blog-ommunity of mothers and families of children with a birth defect known as HLHS. I've learned a lot about this - such as when it's diagnosed in utero, parents are given the chance to terminate the pregnancy, choose compassionate care after birth, or choose a series of 3 open heart surgeries in the baby's first few years of life. I just can't stop thinking about these babies and their parents. I hope I never have to be in their shoes, but I am amazed at their strength and, especially, the strength of these babies and what science allows - that these babies can live with only half of a heart!

One story in particular has really touched me and been on my mind. You can read it at www.lukesexton.blogspot.com. Sadly, this little angel passed away last week - at not even two weeks old. He gave a good fight, but it was too much for his little body to take.

I can't even imagine what his parents, Kristin and Benson, are feeling and dealing with right now. And yet, their faith in God does not seem to be shaken.

I believe knowledge is power, and I think more people need awareness of congenital heart defects like HLHS - so, please, pray for the Sextons and other families with babies born with CHDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment