Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dinner rut

I'm in a rut with my dinners. I make the same things every week - and I am willing to bet that it happens to all of us working women (mom or not!). Chicken, chicken, burgers, chicken, tacos, spaghetti....I just want to start making different things.

My mom makes a family favorite we call Braised Beef - it's simply stew beef, marinara sauce (I use DelGrosso's - or Publix - spaghetti sauce), and a bag of frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas...whatever). I just throw mine in the slow cooker and let it cook all day! We serve it over rice. It's one of my favorite things, and Jim loves it too, but I rarely make it. If I have the stew beef, I normally make beef stew these days - I definitely need to start making Braised Beef more.

Today, I didn't have any stew beef in the house, so I used boneless skinless chicken breasts instead. And since I'm out of rice, I'll make either Couscous or noodles. I cannot wait to try it!

Brooke is only eating "real" veggies if they are mixed into the meals these days - chicken soup, beef stew, etc. etc. Braised beef (and if it tastes as good with chicken) will be a winner (I hope!)

With that said, leave me some of your favorite recipes - slow cooker or not, veggies in the dish or not - I need to get out of a dinner rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment