Monday, November 8, 2010

Slow cookery

My slow cooker has become my best friend since I have such a commute to and from work.  Especially since Brooke started eating table foods, since we don't get home until 6:10 or 6:15, and she eats dinner at 6:30.  Doesn't leave mommy much cooking time!

I have found a couple of recipes that I would love to share.

The first is brand new (to me), courtesy of my sister - we'll call it roasted chicken:

1 whole chicken
salt
pepper
paprika

Clean chicken & pat dry.  Rub with spices. Put in slow cooker & cook on low 8-10 hours.

That's it - no water.  It gives LOTS of drippings, which would make a great gravy or broth for chicken soup later.  I added carrots and potatoes so that I had a full meal waiting for me.  You can't even get the chicken out whole - it literally falls apart.  It was delicious!

The second I've made a few times, and it's one of our favorites.  I'm making it tomorrow, as a matter of fact:

Slow cooker London Broil

London Broil (or flank steak)
1/3 C Water
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
2 tbsp vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder (I use more)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients (I don't measure the spices, just eyeball them) & pour over london broil in slow cooker.  Cook on low 8-10 hours. 

2 comments:

  1. They both sound good! I've been looking for crockpot ideas because when I'm teaching in the tutoring program, I don't get home until almost 5:30. When Scott is working night shift, that's when I wake him up, and I feel bad for not being able to make him dinner to eat before or to take with him to work! :)

    Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are SOOO good! Especially the london broil. If you look back through my older posts, I have posted at least one other crockpot recipe in the past - with many more to follow, since I use my crockpot (almost) every weekday!

    ReplyDelete