Monday, February 28, 2011

Weight Watchers, Planning, and Opinions Needed!

Anyone who knows me knows I've said for a long time - like, I'm talking years - that I want to lose weight.

I lost a bunch of weight in college - 40 pounds, I think.  It's been so long ago that it's hard to remember.  That was doing Weight Watchers.  At that time, you had a point "range" you tried to eat each day.

Not long after that, they changed the plan.  I've tried to go back to Weight Watchers several times over the years, but it has never worked as well as that first time.  Now, they've updated the plan (again), so I decided to check it out.

Hopefully this will work - I've been feeling really bad about myself (look-wise) lately, and I'm constantly exhausted.  I find that when my weight really starts to bother me, it begins to effect every part of my life, and I'm tired of it.  I remember the first time around, I focused on making eating changes first - when I had that under control, I worried about adding more exercise into my routine.  I'm planning on taking the same approach this time.


On another, happier note - I just realized my last post was supposed to be about planning.  Um, yeah, notsomuch. 

I've been thinking a lot about Brooke's 2nd birthday.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do because she is only going to be 2 - so it seems crazy to do some "over the top" thing involving a lot of kids whose parents I don't really know - but at the same time, we don't have family down here to do a "family only" party like I had when I was young.  Here are the thoughts I've been tossing around:

1) Brooke's daycare will let us have parties there.  I could have a party (they're always in the afternoon) and bring in one of many vendors - Elmo, face painting, something else that a bunch of 18 month - 2 year olds would love.  (Note: I'm considering bringing Color Me Mine - see below).
     - Pro: All of Brooke's class would be there, and I don't need to worry about not knowing the parents.  It is probably the least expensive of all of the options!
     - Con: If we have family that comes down for her birthday (as I expect we will), I'm not sure they would all be able to attend and we'd have to do a second party. 

2) Have a party at home with snacks and cake/ice cream.  I could have the Color Me Mine To Go come - they bring the pottery, paint, etc. for the kids to paint a piece of pottery (that I would choose), then take it back to the store to be fired and glazed.  I would pick something small for each child and perhaps a large platter for them to all put their handprints on as a keepsake for Brooke!
      - Pro: Brooke had a GREAT TIME painting the pottery - and it's a favor and activity all in one!
      - Con: Can you imagine the mess of a bunch of 2 year olds painting (very breakable) bisque pieces?  If I do it at home, I have to decide whether to invite her whole daycare class, the kids she plays with the most, or limit it to family/friends that have kids her age - which I don't have many of.  Plus, all of the other kids live near where I work - so I don't know how many would trek to the Kendall area for her birthday party!

3) Have the party at an indoor playground.
       - Pro: Brooke loves playing at these places!  They do all the decorating & clean-up.
       - Con: I'm not sure we'd have enough kids to make the expense worthwhile (unless we invite her whole daycare class - and I don't know whether people do this for 2 year olds!). 

So, if you had a child turning 2, that talks about several of the other kids at daycare, what would you do for their birthday? 

No comments:

Post a Comment